The process of connecting two alternators or an alternator and an infinite bus bar system in parallel is known as synchronizing. Generally, alternators are used in a power system where they are parallel with many other alternators.
Synchronization methods for three phase alternator :
- Synchronization using incandescent lamp
- Synchronization using synchroscope.
- When there is maintenance or an inspection, one machine can be taken out from service and the other alternators can keep up for the continuity of supply.
- Load supply can be increased.
- During light loads, more than one alternator can be shut down while the other will operate in nearly full load.
- High efficiency.
- The operating cost is reduced.
- Ensures the protection of supply and enables cost-effective generation.
- The generation cost is reduced.
- Breaking down of a generator does not cause any interruption in the supply.
- Reliability of the whole power system increases.
Conditions to be satisfied for synchronizing alternators are:
Practical setup for synchronization of two alternator (Nvis 7018)